The golf ball is a special kind of ball category. A special design is required to manufacture a golf ball. A golf ball’s weight matters in golf. It directly affects the performance of a player. So, golfers are concerned about how much does a golf ball weigh. There are many types of golf balls available on market. Types are categorized upon some factors. Usually, a player can refer to it as an amateur ball and advanced or professional balls.
Average Weight of a Golf Ball
The golf balls weighs also varies on the condition of the ball. After playing, the ball’s condition will change. That also affects weight.
The standard measurement of weight sometimes punches or pounds and sometimes grams. If you want you can convert it into other units. So that you can also able to compare with other units. Let’s put a ray on the average weight of a golf ball.
So, how much does a golf ball weigh in grams? – The weight must be less than 46 grams.
And,how much does a golf weigh in pounds?The weight must not be greater than 0.13 pounds or 1.6 ounces.
This chart about the weight of golf ball is set bay USGA.
Golf Ball weigh effects on performance
There is a question that should start on mind how heavy is a golf ball would be? Do that matters on player’s performances? – Yes, the weight matters! It has a significant effect on any kind of golf shots.
A golf ball is typically 1.68 inches in diameter. And it’s weighing about 1.62 ounces. It must not weigh more than that. Then the hit of a golfer won’t be able to go the distance. The proper weigh also create a massive impact on strength of swing. The weight matters in weather conditions such as wind, foggy weather.
Smaller golf balls than standard size are also available. It travels faster than usual ones. For practice or some kind of home performance, you may choose a smaller or a larger ball comparison to the standard. But, in a professional field, it is illegal.
Types of Golf Balls based on Characteristics
The newcomers are really cold about golf ball weigh, the diameter, dimples, etc. Sometimes the most seniors are having a lack knowledge about it! It’s shocking! Cause, golf ball weigh has a massive effect on every shot.
Here we talk about types of golf balls depending on characteristics, compression, and design.
Based on Compression: Compression of a golf ball means the density of it that contains. The determination of the range of low and high compression golf ball lies between 40 to 60. The compression of the golf ball determines the flight path of a hit.
- Low compression balls are softer. It covers more distance. Beginners are love to use it. It allows you to improve your distance. Handicapped and players with slow than moderate swing feel comfortable with it. But it is not for professionals. The golf ball with low compression has less spin.
- Medium compression balls are for the golfers with a speed of swing between 85 to 105 miles per hour. It is suitable for the players who play golf for leisure and don’t know their swing speed.
- High Compression balls are used by the players with a faster swing. The golfers with 105 miles per hour or more are comfortable with it. It has a good spin. This kind of ball has a rating of 90 to 100. It is harder than the others. High compression balls are the competing golfer’s choice. Hit with it needs strength and power. This kind of ball allows a player to hit a fuller distance.
Based on Construction: Golf balls vary in construction. There are three basic types of golf ball depending on construction. These are-
- One-Piece Golf Ball- This is the simple and solid ball in golf. It has no multiple layers. There are no rubber or other materials inside or outer side. It is a heavy ball with a lesser distance. And, it generates low spin. But this ball is famous for crazy golf.
- Two-Piece Golf Ball- This is the traditional ball in golf play. The inner side of this ball is a solid core. And the outer part has different (soft material). It has the best for distance and durability. It is preferable by the novices, the handicapped players, and golfer with less swing speed. They are competent with a good spin.
- Multi-layered Golf Ball- This type of golf ball has multiple layers. It may have a liquid or solid core with three, four, or even five pieces. And, the designs allow the ball to spin in or outer parts (multiple directions). The multiple layers of this ball help a golfer to reach the desired height and long-distance. But it is more expensive and durable is lesser than the others. It is good for golfers with moderate swing and high speed.
There is also a golf ball named a High-performance ball. This is a multi-layered golf ball. It is for advanced level players who want to control the golf ball and its swing. This kind of ball is the most costly and meantime, the least in durability.
Based on Dimple pattern: Every kind of golf ball having dimple patterns. It may vary in pattern. Dimples on a golf ball provide the ball power to fly in the air. But it does not affect the spin. The dimples allow spinning balls to stay longer in the air. There are two types of golf balls characterization on dimple-
- Golf Balls without Dimples– Some balls have come with no dimples! Basically, they have but hard to see. It may perfect for beginners. But in the serious field, this type of ball has no access.
- Golf Balls with Dimples– These types of golf balls are used in the professional fields. As I said earlier, dimples help to stay the ball longer in the air. And, it allows the golf ball towards a smoother path by adding good height and distance.
The dimple pattern is used over a golf ball maintaining basic rules of aerodynamics.
Official (Standard) Golf Ball weigh
I think this is now quite clear to youhow much does a golf ball weighmatters in the play.
The standard weight of a golf ball is typically 45.93 grams (1.62 ounces). The heaviest ball found in the market having 46 grams. The smallest ball having 45.43 grams in weight available in the market.
The minimum diameter of a golf ball is 42.67 mm (1.68 inches).
You are now well educated about the weight of golf ballsand their types with characterization. The main thing is a standard golf ball weight should not exceed 45.93 grams with 1.68 inches of diameter. The main thing to improve your golf is learning techniques, tips, and practice. And play the sport fairly.
- How to Improve Your Golf Swing
- How to Hold a Golf Club for Beginners
- How to Measure Putter Length
- How to Hold a Golf Club Left Handed
- How to Address a Golf Ball with an Iron