Wanna be a golf caddy? Do not get a starting point on how to become a golf caddy? Then I am here for you, sharing some basic to advance key things to do to become a professional golf caddy. When the golf carts are not available so much in quantities like in recent years, golf caddies get the higher attention and the most worthy asset in the golf course. Caddying allows you to feel the golf sport and the full taste without wearing a full pant on a local course, or tour golf terrain.
Things have not changed actually. The machine can not take overall place over human sensitivity and knowledge. Caddying is just not carrying golf bags and golfers clubs, it is much more than that. But first of all, you need some good preparation and to do things to become a pro caddy from a beginner. Before earning a huge amount of money that all dreamt of, need to learn the job properly. That’s what you pay for. Higher in merit and professionalism, the demand graph will be going up.
What is a Golf Caddy and the Responsibilities
Typically, a golf caddy is a person who walks through the golf terrain carrying a golfers kit. But pro-level golf caddies are far beyond that though just shared. A seniors caddy observe the golf course, find out the things to do for the golfer, and gives players some advice. The well demanded golf caddy has sound knowledge and information about the golf course. He or she helps the belonging golfer to set up the winning strategies, swing clubs things, selection of clubs, etc. Basically, an experienced golf caddy does the job like a Kingmaker. He helps the players to beat the challenge on the golf course. But caddying is also a tough and vulnerable job with lucrative and rewarding money.
How to Become a Golf Caddy?
Becoming a golf caddy needs some dedication, perfection, and deep knowledge about the whole things of golf playing, courses, clubs, all types of accessories, presence of mind, and physical strength. Let’s find out some key things to become a golf caddy.
- Know the Game: At first, learn everything about golf, the key things that must be known. Then find out the mistakes and to-do lists that a caddy must know of, the key responsibilities of caddying. Gather deep knowledge and information. Try to contact or discuss with some senior caddies. Look closely at what a senior caddy doing his responsibilities on a golf course.
- Proper Decor of Golf Kits: You must have to learn how to arrange golf bags properly. Where should place the right clubs, what is the usage of individual clubs, the golf ball specification, tee, gloves, raincoat, towel, everything. Keep practicing setting up the accessories in the bag properly. Make a golf course set up on mind and what kind of short may have to play there. Set the golf bags according to that. You can do this at home, or your nearby ground.
- Golf Course Learning: Try to figure out different courses that are nearby to you. Go there, experience the terrain. Its advantages, disadvantages, wind patterns, distances, players shot, etc. Know the distance of certain bunkers, trees, certain spots, leaning areas middle of the green. Keep your observation sharp. Go to every golf tournament that is hosted professionally, where you can watch caddying. Keep the traveling. The most time spending thing in caddying life is traveling.
- Practice Golf & Caddying: A caddy can not play, but must have to learn how to play it, the shots, the clubs. Just practice golf in your leisure time and carry your whole equipment along. It will give you a practical experience of carrying 30 to 40 pounds bag. Learning golf helps you to gather knowledge about which clubs and which shot should use/play.
- Training: Some golf clubs offer caddy training besides regular player training sessions. In a good golf club, there is a Caddy Master, who trained the novice caddies. You can get admission there. There is plenty much opportunity to learn about the golf course, watching games, everything related to golf under supervision. The caddy master gives you the pro tips and helps to build your career.
- Know the Rules: You must have to know the rules when you are caddying on a professional tour according to the course. And, learn the basic golf course rules.
- Physical Strength: A Caddy has to walk through a vast area carrying about 20 to 40 pounds golf bag. Sometimes it goes all day long. It needs a sound and strong physical structure, right. So, build your body strong. You can see all golf caddies are looking strong, there is no one looks weaker.
- Mindset: Set your mind cool and calm position. You have to observe every shot of your player and the others, find out the tip to beat the others, overcome the bad tackles. It is the most valuable thing that a pro golfer is looking for “advice’’. Be attentive, be confident, and keep patient.
- Networking: Wherever you go, introduce to others- the management, the caddies, the golfers, everybody who may useful to you in the future. Acknowledge them about your service and contact information.
- Educational Requirement: Typically for this job you need not be a graduate, or a high school passed. Many Caddies are completed Master Degree, Graduate Degree, Diploma Pass, etc. It is good to get a diploma certificate in sports or golf. Education is important, right, whatever you wanna do for living or leisure. Furthermore, Caddying is not a permanent job. You can get fired anytime! It is a contractual job.
- Grab The Opportunities: You should go to a country club or other professional amateur tournaments as a caddy. You may volunteer there. Give your service free, but a lot of chances to get noticed by a good golfer by your work. Find and take these opportunities.
- Learn the Teach things: Recent years, many golfers like to use tech things like smartphone apps, GPS, etc in a practice session or on a major tour. To give them the best service you should learn about this. And, make your demand high and beneficial to them.
How to Become a Caddy at a Country Club?
The basic things are the same as I discussed above. The fundamentals should be solid. Proper guideline from a pro or a mentor helps you to hone your skills and knowledge.
- Keep practicing and admitted to the local golf course for caddying training. The caddy master will give the instructions about caddying and other things. Learn and grab the things accurately. Follow it.
- Typically, they have a new session for beginner caddies before a training session. They will tell you the requirements to be a caddy.
- You may assign as a caddy for a low-ranked player at the beginner level. Keep your skills up and convince the caddy master for a better position.
- Learn the distance from fairway to green, from a position to the hole. This knowledge and perfect assumption will increase your quality and skill. When your player asked for the distance, your perfect assumption will make him impressed.
- Your job is to deliver quality pieces of information and be supportive to the player during a round. This skill will definitely make you different from others. Make a positive impression on your corresponding player. It is also networking.
- The senior golf caddies usually come to play after the golf course is closed. That time they can play free of charge. Check the time when they are come to play. Get close with them. Take the advice. Their knowledge and tips will make you more valuable to your player. You can take advice about your player’s lackings, shot improvement, your problems, etc. It will make you more valuable. And, these caddies can be a ladder for you to go further. Make a good relationship with them.
How to Become a Professional Golf Caddy?
I guess, now you well educated about the golf course, measuring shot distance, sandtraps, replacing divots, standing position of a golfer, golf clubs, balls, and know the basic requirements how to become a golf caddy.
- Read the golf rules, tips, and tricks as much as possible. Apply them on the local golf course.
- Learn as much as you can and connect with the players, senior caddies, management, and who comes & go. Build your networking high.
- Go to the amateur golf tournaments and serve there as a volunteer. Make you noticeable while caddying by your skills.
- Introduce yourself to the golfers. Offer the players your service. Give your business card to them.
- Network with the senior caddies and ask for advice to roll up your career.
- Networking ability with efficient skill and knowledge will allow chances to become a professional caddy in this stage. It may open a door for a PGA tour also.
How to Become a PGA Tour Caddy?
This is the stage all professional caddies look for. A PGA tour gives chances to earn some handsome money. But your player has to be in the top places. Then you can get plenty of money as a cut depending on your contract with the player. It needs high experience and skills. To become a pro caddy for the PGA tour need solid determination and dedication towards hard work.
- Get professional training, gather higher knowledge. Check out multiple courses and amateur professional tournaments, involved there as a Caddy.
- Do not forget to play golf. Keep engaging with the play, understanding the shot quality, distance of each hole, swing, everything. The practical things make you better understand.
- Learn the golf course rules and regulations. Watch out for every sports magazine, blog, video, website, book related to golf and caddying. Keep your eye and ear open. Earn some quality experience, minimize your cons by providing your corresponding players good advice. It needs better practice outside of course.
- Wherever you go, whoever you meet, give them your business card. Always keep in touch with professional golf caddies association and professional tournament organizers like the Nationwide Tour, European Tour, the Hooters, and this level of the major tournaments via telephone, e-mail, LinkedIn, tweeter, etc, Share your portfolio, and knowledge to the right person, or golfer. Express your interest in working with any golfer who is available. Make them realize how valuable asset you would be for them/him.
- Do not frustrated, be positive. Participate where get the part-time association to a PGA tour golfer/s for that level of caddying experience. Make them impressed. If you are good and skilled at your things, definitely will get a knock.
The Last Words…
At a beginner level, don’t get overdraft about a professional golf caddy salary. Get yourself prepared as I discussed in how to become a golf caddy. You know, the huge amount is spent from a pro caddy’s salary for traveling and lodging expenses. They have to bear their own expenses and have to pay self-employment tax, health insurance.
Focus on your skills, knowledge, and mind set up. A pro or PGA tour caddy has to build a relationship with the player to support them in the emotional scenes, valuable advice to beat the obstacles, proper info about courses, wind, weather patterns, and many more. You will learn all the valuable things by gathering experience and being updated. Keep practicing. Make yourself more potential. Happy Caddying!
- How to Adjust Taylormade Golf Driver
- How Wide Is a Golf Hole
- How to Choose TaylorMade Stand Golf Bag
- What Does Scrambling Mean in Golf
- How to Carry a Golf Bag