Many golfers prefer to walk in the golf terrain. It is beneficial to health issues. And, who doesn’t know walking is the best thing to keep the body fit. A fit body is the key element of success in every sport. Golf carts are available on the golf course today. But if are decided to walk with your bag, then you must aware of how to carry a golf bag properly.
Carrying a golf bag might sound simple to you. Yes, it is simple and comfortable if you know how to arrange your golf bag and how to carry a golf bag accurately. You have a good alignment of your body and the golf bag with a good swing, it is good to go. Typically a golf bag loaded with clubs and other golf equipment (like golf balls, tee) and accessories is weigh between the 15Ibs to 25 Ibs. But the weight may vary, even more.
Why It Is Important to Carry a Golf Bag properly?
Your golf bag naturally carries your expensive golf types of equipment. So carry a golf bag is more than just walking. You need to carry it carefully and healthy way.
You have to set up your golf bag correctly, make proper alignment with your body. Otherwise, you feel the strain on your shoulders and get trouble with chronic back pain. Sometimes your bum feels hurting by your wrong posture of carrying a golf bag.
So, if you are going to golf bag in the terrain of golf, it needless to say ‘carry it properly’.
Variation of Golf Bags
There are typically two kinds of golf bags seen in the market. Let’s talk about these briefly.
- Golf Cart Bag: As the name suggests, this kind of golf bag carry on a golf cart. They are mostly outfitted with a single strap. And this golf cart bag does not stand upright on high low golf terrain. It is good for using a golf cart bag on a smooth, flat course.
A golf cart bag gives you more space and a greater number of compartments. But typically, You need a golf cart or a transport, or a helping hand to use it. Or, learn how to carry a with one strap.
- Golf Stand Bag: This kind of bag can easily stand on an uneven surface.It is very good to go walking with a golf stand bag in a golf terrain. They are the stand version as the name. Different qualities of golf stand bags are available in the market. They are also found light in weight. This bag is usually outfitted with two straps and easy to carry.
Golf stand bag’s style is the typical back-pack style. They are designed in such a way that reduces your back pain. But they are limited in space to carry extra gear and other accessories you may need.
Preparing a Golf Bag for Carrying
Before carrying a golf bag you have to set up the golf bag first. So, how you can set up a golf bag?
- Early Adjustment When the Bag is Empty: It is easy to familiarize yourself with the new golf bag when it is empty. Adjust the strap/straps to fit with your body frame and size. Take a look, how the strap/s dit on your shoulder/s. Then make the adjustment of your strap/s’s length to achieve a fine fit.
- Loading the Clubs: The next thing you have to do is loading your golf clubs slowly. You should start with your heavier and longer woods/clubs. You must place this longer and heavier in the section/compartment that is close to the shoulder strap. So that heavy load is taken place in higher and nearer to the back shoulder for proper balance. That placement will also ensure the protection of your back.
The long iron should put in the center section of the golf bag. And, smaller should place into the other compartment. So the lighter irons/clubs are taken place at the bottom of the bag. This placement will prevent unwanted bouncing while walking with a bag.
Pay attention when arranging the clubs/irons/woods in your golf bag in descending order. Because the clubs set up properly is very essential to walk with a good swing.
- Distribution of Your Accessories: Put your other accessories like golf balls, tees, towels, gloves, snacks, a full bottle of water, etc in the pocket around your golf bag. This might seem very light in weight. But carrying a golf bag over hours this simple weight matters huge. Ensure your balance is okay after distributing all of your accessories. And, make sure you are comfortable with your bag weight if you have to carry it all day long.
- Final Set-Up: Try to walk with your loaded bag for 30 minutes. So that you can check the weight and balance. If you feel uncomfortable, you may rearrange things according to your need. These are called your final adjustments.
How to Carry a Golf Bag with One Strap?
- At first, you have to arrange things that already have been told. The weight of your golf bag must not disturb your balance. The bag should not be tilted a little to one side.
- As you are using a single strap type golf bag, it should carry by your dominant shoulder. For right-handed it is your left shoulder and, for lefties, it is your right shoulder, generally. Because the dominant shoulder offers more power and stamina.
- You may adjust your strap for your comfort and need. But you will need an adjustable strap for doing this. Otherwise, you might find your carrying experience horrible.
- When you get tired and feel sore with your dominant/carrying shoulder, switch the strap on the other side.
How to Carry a Golf Bag with Two Straps?
Carrying a golf bag with two straps is more convenient than carrying with one strap. It is very friendly according to your posture and spine. A stand bag with two straps is more crucial for your posture and spine when you are on turf. Proper adjustment is a must. So, how to carry a golf bag with two straps properly?
- Adjust your strap length. Your bag should be higher up on your back when two straps on. You should not adjust the length of your straps that your bag weight will feel at your bum. Too much slack is a common problem with a two straps golf ball. It will cause pain in your back or bum.
- Make sure all types of equipment in the golf bag are distributed evenly. You already know how to arrange your golf bag. The bag should not be tiled aside.
- You should lift your golf bag bay using the bag’s handle.
- Use your leg when you lift up your golf bag, not your backside or spine.
- Lower your dominant shoulder and put a strap on. Then put the other strap to the next shoulder.
- Check your adjustment, alignment with bags, and balance. If all feel comfortable, then you all set to go.
Walking and carrying a weighted golf ball is a solid workout for your fitness. But sometimes many golfers complain about back pain or pain in the bum. That is for your wrong posture, old aged person, and lack knowledge on how to carry a golf bag in the right manner. If you still find your golf bag hard to carry, then go for a lightweight golf bag. There are many well-known manufacturing companies manufactured them regularly with different design and providing more comfort.
All on the earth have a life limit. If your golf bag is very old enough to carry your necessity golf gears, go for a new one. If you are injured, having arthritis, muscle pain, and old-aged player, and like this, please rely on a golf cart.
So it is not just buying an expensive golf bag and throwing it over shoulders. It is more than that when you have determined to walk with it. And, sometimes you have to carry a fully equipped bag for hours. You have to sound knowledge of how to carry a golf bag accurately for preventing bum pain, back pain, muscle pain, or excessive soring on the shoulders.
How many clubs to carry in a golf bag?
- You can carry a putter, three types of woods, for example, 3-wood, driver, and 5-wood. And, also should carry 8- irons- it may be 3-9 iron and pitching wedge in your golf bag. These are the common golf clubs you will find in a senior golfer bag.
- That is, you can always carry 14 golf clubs in your golf bag.
- You can carry two more clubs according to your choice if you are not going to play a professional tour.
How many clubs are legal to carry in a golf bag?
- In the early 20th century, experienced golfers carry 20 to 25 golf clubs in their golf bag. But now it is illegal.
- According to golf rules and USGA (United States Golfers Association), a golfer carries 14 golf clubs maximum in his/her golf bag. It may less, but not more.
- If there are more than 14 clubs in your bag, then you have to face a penalty. The penalty depends on the type of play (generally).
- How to Drive a Golf Cart
- How to Increase Clubhead Speed
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Straight
- How to Clean Golf Grips
- How to Clean Golf Gloves