As a beginner golfer, it is very common to confuse various things about golf. Confusion of beginner level players mostly circles around the clubs. Lots of new and casual golfers struggle to find suitable golf clubs for them.
Wrong clubs will definitely decrease your speed and accuracy. Moreover, a wrong club in the hand can spoil your reputation as a player among other players and fade-away your confidence. If you want to make success as a golf player, you must know how to pick golf clubs in a rightmost way.
Why Judging the Clubs Are Important?
Right golf clubs are the most necessary things that you need to consider for every single shot. There are several types of clubs and not every single one is suitable for all hits. All these clubs also have different face angle, loft, weight, height at so on. All together they help you to survive any golf situations.
Proper and good quality clubs have the perfect angles and weight balance which are much important for a perfect shot. As a golf player, you always have to choose your clubs cleverly and choose within clubs according to your comforts.
Parts of a Golf Club
There are mainly four parts to a club. These should be considered for knowing how to choose golf clubs for your height and postures.
- Grip – This is the place where you hold the club. Generally made of rubber, natural leather, etc.
- Shaft – Shaft is the long stick of the club. These are generally made out of graphite or similar elements.
- Hosel – It is the connection between the shaft and the clubhead. This part is important because of its adjustability. In every flexible club, there are some adjustment knobs to configure lie and loft settings at the hosel.
- Clubhead – It is the most crucial part of any club. One side of the clubhead is made to hit the ball and the rest controlled the weight. Different clubs have different angles and rotations making the particular club useful for certain situations.
How to Choose Golf Clubs Best Way
There are several type of golf club and for choosing the proper golf club from them, you must consider some things to get the most suitable and effective clubs. If you want to learn how to buy golf clubs, this is the best way!
The drivers are called the 1st woods. These generally have the longest shafts. Nowadays it comes with many adjustable settings such as lie setting, loft setting, weight-setting, etc.
For buying a driver, you have to keep eye on the loft, shaft-length, flexibility, and shape of the clubhead. Golf drivers usually have 8 to 13 degrees of loft angle and they are useful for different cases. For faster swing, choose the driver with 8-9 degrees’ loft angles. For slower swing, it should be 12 to 13 degrees and for the average swing, it is comfortable within 10 to 12 degrees.
The Fairway Woods
Fairway Woods also known as fairway irons are much similar-looking to a driver. But it has a smaller clubhead than the drivers and is used for different purposes. These are often used when the golf ball needs a bit more distance to cover in the green.
For buying these clubs, you should consider the shaft height, clubhead shape and design. It comes in many varieties and you can choose according to your comfort. The best way to choose a Fairway Wood is by looking at its numbers. The higher the number, the more lofted head and shorter shaft it has.
There are usually six to eight irons (3 to 9 or pitching wedges) in a player’s golf bag. Their clubhead is made of metals and much lighter than other clubs. These are used for short or midrange shots. Typically used in the green to drive the ball to the hole.
For buying iron, you have to consider the manufacturing material since these are fully made out of metals. Usually, steel-made (17-4 & 431 stainless-steels) irons are found and they are great for having much control of the medium shots.
Wedges are much similar-looking to the irons but have much higher lofts (46°-64°). The construction materials are also much similar to the irons. These usually come in four different variations-
- Pitching Wedge (PW) – This has a loft between 46 and 50 degrees and is used for shots of around 130 yards in the green.
- Sand Wedge (SW) – These are lofted between 54-58 degrees and usually used for bunker play.
- Gap Wedge (GW)– These wedges lofted between 50-55 degrees and good for covering gaps in the green with long grass.
- Lob Wedge (LW) – These have the highest loft of all wedges (60°-64°). So obviously, these are great for a high flight within a short distance.
Besides these, there are also differences in bounce-angle (high bounce, standard bounce, standard bounce) from which you can choose. But generally, a bounce-angle between 10 to 14 degrees is an ideal choice.
As per its name, putters are used for driving the ball in the hole by the ground. That’s why these are much important and be very careful choosing them. The general length of a putter lies between 33″ to 35″.
The main variations of putter you can find are-
- Mallet – These have the heaviest clubhead of all putters. Comes with many designs from a different brand for better accuracy.
- Half-Mallet –These are quite similar to the mallet-type but less heavy and easy to hit with.
- Blade – These are the lightest putter and are not much forgiving while hitting from the middle of the surface.
Hybrids are a combination of wood and iron. That’s why these are getting much polarity day by day and soon will replace traditional ones. These are much more functional and very flexible. Since these are still developing and bards are coming up with more featureful clubs often, it is quite hard to suggest a good hybrid club. You should take the club in the hand and look for comfort. If it feels comfortable and fulfills your requirements, then it is good to go with it.
Tips On How to Choose Golf Clubs for Beginners
When you ask yourself ‘which golf clubs are best for me?’, you should also keep these factors in mind.
Your comfort is the main thing. You should choose a club according to your comfort and suitability.
This will show you how much time your club will serve you. So, pick a club that looks sturdy and well coated.
Price is a key factor. The club should the best one inside your budget.
Look and Compare
Before buying a club, look at the websites and the company-specifications to get a clear knowledge about them. Also, get suggestions from the expert if you feel confused.
Clubs are the key to success and give you the best chance. Many players have good capability to perform well, but they lack to prove themselves only for choosing unsuitable clubs. Always remember, clubs are the only weapon that can give you success in a golf tournament. Choosing the right golf club is your responsibility!
- How to Start the Downswing in Golf
- How to Fix a Golf Hook
- How to Measure a Golf Club Lengths Perfectly
- How to Maintain Golf Cart Batteries
- How to Charge Golf Cart Batteries
Leave a Reply