We all like fresh things, right! So there is no difference in the golf play. More precisely, I want to talk about a clean golf ball. A golf ball has a massive lifetime. But for looking good and fresh it needs to maintain appropriately. In a vast terrain of a golf course, there is mud, dirt, long grass, and many more things. It is natural for the golf ball to become dirty after some time. But these golf ball has a life of a long time. So that we have to remove the light dirt, algae, fungus, and deep dirt. After proper cleaning, the golf balls will look new and shiny. But how to clean golf balls in an appropriate way? Let’s discover!
Why it is necessary to clean golf balls?
It is a shame for golfers to play with a dirty golf ball. A dirty golf ball affects your shots. It affects the ball spin, covering distance and visibility level. What happened when we play with a new ball? We get plenty of satisfaction to play a shot. With proper stance, swing, and addressing we easily hit a satisfactory shot per our desire. Although golf balls have dimples that allow the balls to fly in the air at a good rate. And, when the balls are getting dirt, dimples are affected first.
So it is very clear now that golfers must know how to wash golf balls.
How to Clean Golf Balls Easy Guide
1. Cleaning Materials:
Before removing dirt, there are some pieces of equipment that must be required. These are-
- Dishwashing Liquid Soap: It is a very common household in every house. And, it is available in any nearby departmental store. Dishwashing shop is very mild cleaning agents. It doesn’t damage the ball during the cleaning process.
- White Vinegar: It is an acidic cleaning agent but harmless. White vinegar is environmentally friendly and inexpensive too.
- Bleach: For cleaning moderate dirt it is very useful. Often we seek an answer on how to clean golf balls that it’ll look whiter again? Here, the best solution is. Blech makes an external reaction on the golf ball. So, a heavy dirt ball becomes shiny by using bleach as a cleaning agent. But it may cause damage to the golf ball due to its chemical reaction.
- Household Ammonia: Ammonia is generally used to clean walls, floors, shelves of our house. So it is also very available anywhere. It is a standard cleaning agent for a golf ball. It allows to clean moderate dirt from the different surfaces of the golf ball.
- Acetone: It is an excellent cleaning agent for cleaning golf balls. It removes deep dirt and stains by using a little quantity. Cotton balls may be a helping hand with Acetone.
- Soft-bristled Brush: For removing trash from the surface of a ball you need a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Washing Container: Any container like a bucket, tub, household sink, or dishwasher. It is for washing the golf balls under pressure. Or, soaking the balls for some time.
- Towels: You need a dish towel to dry up your golf balls, right?
2. Cleaning Process:
Cleaning for Light dirt –
- First, find a Dishwasher or Washing machine.
- Pour enough dishwashing liquid/detergent in it as required.
- Turn the temperature medium hot.
- Take a few minutes to get the golf balls to soak into it.
- And clean the golf balls twice with the dishwasher or detergent for better cleaning.
- When the golf balls become shiny, soak the water from the balls using dry towels.
It is the easiest way to wash golf balls. This process is perfect for those balls that are not so filthy. The process is also called the “Dishwasher Method”.
Cleaning for Moderate dirt –
This cleaning process is quite as simple as the previous.
- Take a bucket (Your sink might be a perfect place).
- Pour up with slightly warm water according to your ball’s numbers.
- Now choose the cleaning agent you prefer. It may be bleach, white vinegar, or household ammonia, or any golf ball washer.
- Don’t use multiple types of solutions at once. Let the balls soak into the solution for an hour.
- After the resting period in the solution, you may transfer the golf balls into another container.
- I hope your solution removes all the moderate specks of dirt from the surface of the ball. You can use a soft brush to remove mud or trash from the ball’s surface.
- Now soak the water from the surface of every ball with a clean towel.
- After that, you can keep them for sundry (for a while) to completely dry them up.
This process is applicable for removing moderate garbage from the golf balls. The process is also named “Soaking Method”.
But how to clean balls from ponds?
Then the answer is given in the below processes.
Cleaning for Difficult dirt –
Some kinds of dirt, mud, or dust won’t wash away by using cleaning agents or the process of soaking. That kind of filthy balls usually restored from ponds or water blockhouses. Those kinds of balls are stuck with some sticky stuff. So, clean golf balls of this kind then?
- You can use a water hose over these filthy balls for partial clean in a big container.
- Then make a paste of baking soda and water to use as a golf washer. Clean one ball at a time. Don’t rush.
- Use a brush or a scrubber to clean the garbages from the dimples.
- Again give the balls a good rinse. Put them into another container.
- Pour the new container with any type of cleaning solution (Ammonia, bleach, or white vinegar). Fill 75% of the container with warm water.
- Place the golf balls into it and wait for an hour.
- Then the same process. Rinse the balls again, dry them up with dry towels, and keep them under the sun for a while.
This process is beneficial for golf balls with too stubborn garbage. The process is also called the “Scrubbing Method”.
Cleaning Stain removing –
Sometimes the golf balls may get badly stained. It may be marked by permanent markers and you need to remove this. This type of dirt needs special treatment. Then how to wash golf balls of that kind?
- Use Acetone or paint nail remover to clean that kind of high stain as a cleaning solution.
- Put a piece of cotton balls dip into the solution and rub the cotton ball where the stain exists on the golf balls.
- After that, the next parts are as usual as told before in the above cleaning processes.
This process is profitable for cleaning high and old stains. This type of treatment may cause damage to the color of the balls. The process is also named “Stain Removal Method”.
- But many may have a question on their mind till now that how to clean golf balls at home?
Well, the cleaning processes that are described- are they very difficult to follow at home? I think the answer should be negative. Then, why so worried about cleaning golf balls at home!
There are many golf ball cleaning machines available in the market now. The golf ball cleaning machines are typically used by professional players. They are high functioned and many are cost low in maintenance. If you have faced problems to clean your balls properly and seek the brightest result, then go for it. The golf ball cleaning machines give you the best clean without damaging your balls.
After reading the whole article, there should be no hesitation on the matter of clean golf balls. You can now easily find out the best way to clean golf balls that suits you. Please, do not experiment by mixing chemicals as a solution. It may give you the brighter result you look for. But it might be a cause of massive damage to the golf balls that impossible to recover.
It need not say again that how much it is important to clean your golf balls! An accurate cleaning makes your balls much brighter and lighter. And, a healthy golf ball allows you to play a sound hit. It helps to improve your performance. So, keep the golf balls clean and keep rocking on the golf course. Happy Golfing Fellows!
- How Much Does a Golf Ball Weigh
- How to Improve Your Golf Swing
- How to Hold a Golf Club for Beginners
- How to Measure Putter Length
- How to Hold a Golf Club Left Handed