The golf cart is an alternative to any kind of golf trolley on a golf course. Most of the golf carts are two-seaters (sometimes 3, 4, or 6-seaters) as we can watch standing in a golf course. Since 1950 Golf carts have been used in a golf terrain as a helping hand. The golf course is a vast area we all are well known about that. It helps golfers to carry their necessary equipments from here and there in the vast area of the golf course. And, allows saving their energy. It may also reduce the necessity of spending money on Caddies.
Buying a Golf Cart is not worth it if you don’t know how to drive a golf cart. Driving a golf cart is quite similar to a regular automobile. But there are some differences that exist.
How Does a Golf Cart Work?
Nowadays, the electrically driven (Solar charged/battery) golf cart and gasoline-driven golf cart are popular. These types are usually seen on a golf field. A golf cart usually works like a regular automobile.
A Gas golf cart is run by a four-stroke combustion engine. It is gas/gasoline driven, so it has a gas tank or fuel tank obviously. A gas cart has a powerful engine than an electric golf cart. But it makes noise, vibration, and not environment friendly sometimes. The average speed of a gas golf cart is between 14 to 15 miles per hour.
So, how does an electric golf cart work?
An electric golf cart is driven by a battery. Its engine gets powered by battery cells. The batteries are generally 36 or 48 volts. Some of the electric carts have 110 volts battery to power their battery cells. It needs 8 to 12 hours to charge a battery. Some of the golf cart’s battery recharge can be done using the solar panels. It is definitely an advantage. After 3 to 5 years you need to change the battery. The electric golf cart is environment friendly and creates no noise or vibration. The average speed of an electric cart is between 12 to 14 miles per hour.
Know! How to Drive a Golf Cart Properly?
Any kind of golf cart is simple to drive. It is so simple that a teenager can control it very easily. You might have questions about how to start a golf cart? Or, how to start a gas golf cart? Are they the same? – Yes, driving for both kinds are the same now. The difference is between their engines. One is gas-driven whether the other needs 4 large batteries to power up the engine. Basic driving is the same. Now we for how to drive a golf cart.
1) At first, you should check your parking brake is engaged or not. For better safety press the brake down and keep it in the proper stance. If the brake is not engaged, then it should start running after turn on the engine.
2) For starting a golf car, you should have a key. It is the same as the automobile starting manual. After all, the golf cart is the older cousin. Insert the key in the key slot and turn it to the right. You may hear a loud or a lighter sound depending on your golf cart engine and quality. Turning the key just start your gas engine (gas golf cart), or just turns on your battery (electric golf cart). If you have a key, then it should have a number. This is actually your car number. It helps you to find out your golf cart in the parking of a golf course.
3) If your golf cart is a gasoline running cart, then it will create a loud noise after starting the engine. Otherwise, it should be sound like a familiar automobile engine.
4) You may see a reverse gear/lever/switch. For forward motion, you must set this lever/switch to the forward direction. For a handle/lever you can navigate it by flipping left or right. For a switch, you should press/push it from one side to the other side.
And if you want to go backward, it is vice-versa.
5) Now you have to put your golf cart into gear. Generally, there are two buttons/switches named “R” and “F”. So, make sure about your direction and then go to the next move.
6) Put your seat belt on. It is best to buckle up whatever the automobile type is, right? Although, a golf cart has a speed of 12 to 16 mph average, even more. Check your surroundings. Make sure the body of yours and passengers (if any) is inside the vehicle, especially hands and legs.
7) Put your both hand comfortably on the cart’s steering wheel. Keeping both hands on the steering will allow more control over the vehicle.
8) If everything is alright push the gas/accelerate pedal/switch on your right foot/hand. Release the brake lever/switch. Because you cannot run your vehicle by pushing both levers! You should press your accelerate gear with your comfortable foot. I mean, the foot may be right for lefties and vice-versa. It should be very right to control the other lever/gear/handle with your comfortable (same leg) foot.
9) Put mild pressure on your gas pedal. When you understand how much pressure should be given according to vehicle balance, then you can accelerate the pedal pressure.
10) Don’t floor your gas pedal at the starting. Understand the clear picture of your vehicle acceleration, how your pedal reacts!
11) When you are in a comfort zone with your gas pedal, then keep increasing your pressure gradually to accelerate your golf cart.
12) You should use the wider padel or brake padel with the same foot when it is needed. Just put off your foot transfer it from one to another. And, things must go on like this way.
13) For going backward, turn or pull on the handle/switch and pedal the acceleration usually as mentioned above. Some of the golf carts have low speed when going backward. Don’t forget to check the behind going backward by the back mirror or rotating your body.
14) During the whole process, you should as relax as driving a regular car. It will keep your mind in a stable and comfortable position.
15) You may have to ride your cart at night. But your cart has to equip with few night pieces of night equipment like brake lights, headlights, turns signal light, and reflective devices.
16) You should maintain not over 35 mph on a public road. And, your golf cart should have a horn. You may go at 25mph or at least 25 mph. It depends on which states you live on. Learn about road regulation for driving the golf cart on a public road according to your state and country.
17) Slow down the vehicle when turning. Avoid sharp turns when driving a cart. It is not a balanced vehicle as to the regular one. And, if your cart has no doors, no seatbelt please be very careful when driving.
Try not to put a loud horn when you are on a golf course. It might be a cause of disturbance to the other golfers. You should have insurance for your golf cart. Any damage to the cart, an accident can happen anytime whatever careful you are!
How Old to Drive a Golf Cart?
As you know it is an automobile type vehicle, so there must have an age restriction to drive a golf cart. If you are a teenager your mind may find an answer on how old do you have to be to drive a golf cart?
- For driving a golf cart, a person should have at least 14 years old. It is the average age researching all the states and countries. The age restriction depends upon your state and the country you lived in.
I can give you some pieces of information as examples for better understand (Different state of Australia) about how old to drive a golf cart if you lived here-
- In New South Wales, you have to 16 years old to apply for a learner license.
- For Western Australia, you need 15 years to apply for a learner permit.
- You have to be 16 to apply for a learner license if you are in Queensland.
At this end of the article, you should have sound knowledge of how to drive a golf cart properly. Which types of golf cart you should go for that is totally depend upon your bucks, necessity, choice, and comfort. All types are having pros and cons. But driving technique is the same.
You should keep practicing how to drive a golf cart correctly on open ground or a local road to improve your driving skill. Don’t neglect or give less important as it is a simple golf cart! Because an accident has also happened here. And, always very attentive and careful when driving a golf cart on a golf course or public road. Stay safe! Stay tuned!
- How to Increase Clubhead Speed
- How to Hit a Golf Ball Straight
- How to Clean Golf Grips
- How to Clean Golf Gloves
- How Much Does a Golf Cart Weigh