Every millimeter matters in golf. It is the game of accuracy. The novice golfer often faces the problem of how to hit a golf ball straight. The pro golfers hit a shot with their swing. They have already adjusted their ball’s backspin measurement and everything related to it. The small degree of slice or hook doesn’t matter to their perfect hit. The pro golfers even get master at hitting a golf ball straight. They can also have a master knowledge about how to hit a golf ball straight with a driver if there is a need for a super straight shot. So for the beginner golfer, this article will be basic. And, to a professional, it will be a revision or maybe help to correct their wrong drills if there any.
Every golfer always has to increase his/her skill from time to time. Otherwise, he or she will definitely be weaker than the others. Believe me, master in hitting a golf ball straight is harder but it’s simple too. Just you have to follow up on some basic things and keep practicing regularly. Don’t worry newbies. At the end of the article, you will have a piece of good knowledge of how to hit a golf ball straight.
The Fundamental Things:
Hitting a golf ball straight with an iron, woods, or a driver, or any kind of clubs in your golf bag you have to maintain these basic properties.
- Stance: You have to get your proper stance, the body position, and everything related to this. The stance will provide you the entire swing from backswing to follow through.
- Proper Grip: To hit a shot straight you have to learn about your grip. It must not be too tight or too weak. It should be neutral.
- Addressing: After taking your stance, your perfect posture, and right grip, need to address the golf ball in the right way. That means the ball position with your posture and club towards the target.
These are the basic things you have to look up first. Then get ready to reach the target from fairway to green.
The most frustrating scene is for a golfer that when he/she wants to hit a ball straight but it slice or hook. To hit a golf ball straight you have to avoid slice and hook.
What is a Golf Slice?
- It is a shot when the ball makes curves to the right side for a right-handed golfer and to the left side for a left-handed golfer when it is in the air.
What is Golf Hook?
- A golf hook is a shot in golf that is lower in trajectory. It is a shot that makes curves to the left side for a right-handed golfer and to the right side for a left-handed golfer.
How to Hit a Golf Ball Straight?
Generally, the newbies make a mistake in that they try to hit the ball with the clubhead about 80miles per hour. But it is not the speed matters, but the accuracy. The clubface must hit the ball at the square. Otherwise, the ball will create in side spin that will be the cause for slice or hook. Take a glimpse of how to hit a golf ball straight.
- Before hitting a golf ball straight it is always essential to get in proper setup. The body position and stance should be perfect.
- Your body should be parallel to the target. And, the golf ball must place in the middle of your both leg.
- Holding your golf club is very important here also. It is the grip that affects your shot quality and distance.
- The grip should be not so tight or not too weak. It should be a neutral grip.
- The clubface rotation is the thing you have to aware of. You should start with the clubface square to the target when set up to the golf ball.
- Complete your swing properly, that is the backswing and the downswing.
- The body should rotate on the plane and the golf club should swing on the plane line.
The above points are also tips for driving golf shot straight. There are some more things that I will reveal below.
Driving a Golf ball Straight:
It is quite the same process as hitting a golf ball straight with an iron. Because the driver is one of the golf clubs of your golf bag like a pitching wedge. So, how to drive a golf ball straight then-
- The driver should place on the ground at first is important here. This will allow you to aim the club directly to the desired target. Body aim is not important here.
- Your body should be positioned a small degree left from the target.
- For a drive shot, you have to place your ball on the tee.
- Make your feet together in such a way that the ball should place in the middle of your both leg.
- Move your left foot slightly to the left that it should be in line with the left shoulder. Move your right foot outside of your right shoulder too.
- The golf ball now stands high at your stance. The ball should align to the left toe, not beyond the left foot.
- Put your weight equal on both heels. The head should behind the ball.
- To hit a straight shot with a driver, you need to hold your club with a neutral grip.
- Gripping the club low. Your eyes should be on the ball. Check your stance and alignment to the target.
- Now draw your club up and make a proper backswing (which will allow a sound downswing) and hit the center of the ball with the clubface.
Tips for driving golf ball straight
- You should shorten your drive. I mean make feel yourself short of the drive. It helps you to control the drive.
- Don’t try to get a full swing. The mild swing will great to hit or drive a shot straighter. So, don’t make too much backswing.
- When you are going to hit the golf ball, be relax.
- Keep pressure by your fingers not your palm.
- Create a swing by keeping weight onto your lead foot.
- Place your golf tee in-depth on the ground. Don’t make the tee too high or much low.
- Make a strong swing, but no overdo.
- Always hit in the center of the golf ball for a straight drive or hit.
Experienced golfers are not swinging at their maximum swing speed. Because they know the value instead of opting for more accuracy over maximum driver distance. The driver is a special club (the longest) which has the least loft. The basic fundamentals of hitting a golf ball straight with an iron, driver, or any kind of club are the same. Most golfers like to use the iron for a classic shot. Hit a shot with a driver we mostly need to get rid of the slice. It is the main problem when hitting a straight shot with a drive. And, get the proper set up especially for a drive. For better accuracy, it needs more practice. This article on how to hit a golf ball straight should help to resolve your problems. And, help you to hit a straighter shot consistently.
- How to Clean Golf Grips
- How to Clean Golf Gloves
- How Much Does a Golf Cart Weigh
- How to Clean Golf Balls
- How Much Does a Golf Ball Weigh