As every millimeter matters in golf, so it is the best option to improve your skills every day. And, a golf stinger is that kind of pro-shot that can dramatically change your score. Although hitting a stinger shot is quite difficult if you are a beginner. But it can make you a legend if it is in your golf strokes. So, how to hit a golf stinger or how to hit a stinger iron is the most curious thing to know about.
Many of us think that Tiger Wood invented the punch shot by hitting with a two-iron. But the fact is he did make it memorable and popular with his extraordinary golf power and poetry motion. Every golfer has their individual weapon when he is under pressure. And for Tiger Wood, it is a stinger that is his trump card. The stinger shot usually hits the golf ball off the tee. However, anyone can use fairway wood or iron, 2 or 3-iron as per their comfort. If you go through my article you will get to know about golf stinger, how to hit a stinger, its benefit, and some tips.
What is a Stinger shot in Golf?
Oh! It is the most common shot of our fabulous golfer Mr. Tiger Wood. On November 30th, 2017 in the Bahamas when he was attending Hero World Challenge, released a video over this specific shot. It is his signature shot. Many of you may not familiar with it, so let me tell you something about this pro kind of shot.
A golf stinger is a power and poetry motion shot that has a lower trajectory but covers a very long distance. It is generally played when the condition demands a low penetrating controlled hit from fairway to green but covers a long distance and after finishing the flight, the ball even makes some movement towards the green.
How to Hit a Stinger Golf Shot?
No doubt that stinger is a difficult shot to produce. On a windy day or under pressure situation, it is one of the effective arrows from your golf shot bows that can relieve you from difficulties and pressure. To hit a stinger you have to well prepared about your stance, swing, and mindset up. Tiger Woods says ‘anyone can play a fade, draw, or straight shot applying stinger golf shot’. It is the clubhead speed that matters the most.
- You may use a 2, 3, 4, or 5-iron to hit a stinger. But when you just practicing for a stinger you should first go with your 5-iron. When you are comfortable with 5-iron stingers, then you should pick up your 4-iron, and eventually shift longer irons.
- Make your stance narrow than your traditional stance and put the ball at the middle of your stance.
- When you addressing the ball you should keep it one ball’s length back in your stance but not so much back.
- Many addresses a stinger as a punch shot. Yea it is but different. How? When you want to full lash at the, you must hit the ball at the mid-forward to your stance. This posture helps you to minimize the ball’s spin rate and rolls down to the turf when it hits.
- Hold your club iron firmly, maybe 2.5 cm down from your normal grip. And should try to make equal balance on both feet, or maybe 60% on your front foot and 40% on your back. The main point is maintaining a great balance.
- When you are going to hit the stinger, your backswing should be full and smooth, a full shoulder turn, unlike a punch hit.
- In the downswing, soften your arms up and speed up your hips. That means to get your hips fast as much as possible so that you can stop your hands in the post-impact. Your shoulder should swing but no rush. Your lower body should lead the downswing
- You should swing on the plane and make a clean divot on the forward side of the golf ball.
- You should hit the ball squarely with your clubface neither open nor open impact.
- Keep your swing low and the clubhead as straight as possible in the entire setup.
- And just after hitting the stinger, stop your hands at shoulder height. That means the follow-through should be shorter than your normal
Moreover, amateurs even senors want to know how to hit a low stinger? The answer is already given above. Because a low stinger is a perfect stinger and so I have just discussed with you the proper steps on how to hit a stinger perfectly. Do you know what is the amazing thing about the stinger? If you become a master in golf stinger like Tiger Woods, you can travel your stinger shots-
- 285 yards with a Driver.
- 200 to 250 yards with 4- to-2-iron.
- 208 to 172 yards with middle irons (5, 6,7).
- 158 yards with 8-iron.
- 142 yards with 9-iron.
Okay, okay, at least if you may reach ⅔ of Tiger Woods Stinger range with different clubs, then how dramatically your golf skill and the score would be changed? Just think about it.
Tips for Stinger Shot
- Do not put the stinger such a way back in your stance that you have to chop down the golf ball.
- It is a wise decision to not using a hybrid club to hit a stinger. Because by nature hybrid clubs produce high trajectory shot but you need a very low one.
- Keep your arms relaxed while attempt to hit, not muscling. It will allow you to produce a clean stroke.
- Maintain on-plane swing when hitting a stinger.
- Do not forget to take a divot. It allows you to control the spin, trajectory, and ball flight.
- Always maintain a great balance.
- Remember, it is the clubhead speed that matters the optimum.
The Benefits of a Stinger Shot
- The best advantage of a golf stinger is it goes far and stays low as well as the swing makes it under control.
- When the ball flight down, it still has some movement to roll far to the green.
- It helps your hit over branches or around the trees or any obstruction that come in flight path with a lot of control and distance.
The Last Words…
If you want to switch your game to the next effective, a stinger shot is a better weapon that should be added to your arsenal. Once you know how to hit a stinger perfectly, you will be surprised how many doors are open to rolling up into the next level of golf. To hit a stinger you should speed up your body and keep the consistency of your stroke. The lucky thing is to soften your arm while hitting and stop your hands at shoulder height after hitting the stinger. If you are good at it that fits with your natural motion, you are in luck.
At this ending, you should well-known about the golf stinger and every basic requirement to hit a stinger. Now it is only a matter of time to become a pro in the stinger. But practice, practice, and practice- is the solution to make that happening faster. It is the shot that every golfer wants in the bag. So, why late? Keep practicing. And, Good Luck!
- How to Hold a Putter Perfectly in Golf Game
- How to Hit a Flop Shot in Golf
- How Far to Stand from The Golf Ball
- How to Hit a Draw in Golf
- How to Stop Topping the Golf Ball