The putter is one of the clubs in the golf kits used to play a short and slow-paced stroke. It is used to roll a ball into the hole from a short distance. In this modern era, sometimes golfers consider the putters as the last club of their golf kit! But, for a short clean hit, it has no comparison with any other clubs. A golfer must aware of how to measure putter length.
A correct putter length depends on the player’s body size and his or her posture. If a golfer doesn’t well educate about how to measure a length of a putter, then the player has nothing but blame the putter.
What to do Measuring Putter length precisely:
Shot with a putter dependent on the swing of a player and length of the shaft. Distance and control over a putt shot depend upon the body position, types of stroke, and height of the golfer.
- When hitting a shot with a putter, take a parallel position to the ball. Standing just in front of the target. The wrist will bend forwardly so that the elbows may touch the ribcage decently. The eyes should put above the target.
- The thumb should be placed on the flat area of the putter’s grip. The shaft of a putter should in line with the upper parts of the hand.
- After taking a proper stance, if you bent extremely that means the length of the putter is shorter.
- If the thumbs go toward the top of the flat area (gripping area), that means the shaft length is longer.
- Before cutting or choosing a putter, a golfer should fit his or her height by playing different shots with the natural swing.
- If the eye position is not directly above the ball with the correct posture, then the length of the shaft is not right.
- Try to no use that makes feel uncomfortable in the lower back of the body.
- The height of the golfer is an indication to choose a proper length shaft. This day’s maximum men gofers are taking putter between 34 and 35 inches. On average, it is about 33.5 inches. And, lady golfer takes a putter with a length of 33 inches (standard). Are they all short in height? No, it is for their stance- proper thumbs position.
With proper stance and techniques, if you find the traditional putter discomfort, then you can customize the fitting. It may cost expensive. If you not comfortable after fulfilling all the precautions, it is then a lack of confidence. Mind it, confidence is the key to be a great putter.
Chart of Different Putter length:
The common length of putters is generally between 32 to 52 inches. As I talked about, it can be customized. If no putter suits you that available in the market, please custom as per your demand. The discussion below can help anyone to understand how to measure length chart.
1. Standard Putter length Chart: It is the most common putter in the market. This length is best for an average-sized player. The length of the standard putter varies between 31 to 35 inches.
Player Height Putter length
- 6 feet or above 34.5 inch
- 5 feet 10 to 5 feet 11 34 inch
- 5 feet 9 to 5 feet 10 33.5 inch
- 5 feet 5 to 5 feet 8 33 inch
- 5 feet 3 to 5 feet 4 32.5 inch
- 5 feet 1 to 5 feet 2 32 inch
- 4 feet 11 to 5 feet 31.5 inch
- 4 feet 10 and less 31 inch
2. Belly Putter length Chart: This type of putter has a long shaft. Its length varies between 38 to 47 inches. Belly putter helps newcomers and players with less wrist control to play a good putt shot.
Player Height Putter Length
- 6 feet 2 or above 54 to 47 inches
- 5 feet 9 to 6 feet 1 41 to 44 inches
- 5 feet 8 or less 38.5 to 40 inches
3. Long Putter length Chart: Ths is the longest putter in length among these three kinds. Its length range lies between 46 to 53 inches. The gripping style of this putter is different from others. A long putter is best for the golfer with the pendulum swing.
Player Height Putter length
- 6 feet 2 or above 54 inch
- 6 feet to 6 feet 1 52 inch
- 6 feet to 5 feet 11 51 inch
- 5 feet 10 to 5 feet 11 50 inch
- 5 feet 9 to 5 feet 11 49 inch
- 5 feet 8 to 5 feet 9 48 inch
- 5 feet 7 to 5 feet 8 47 inch
- 5 feet 6 and less 45 inch
These are just basic charts of the length of different kinds of the putter. It might differ according to requirements.
How to Measure Putter length:
Usually, the shaft of a putter is not installed in the heels like an Iron or Drivers. For measuring the shaft length you need a scale. It can be a tape or a ruler with 48 inches (120 cm) in length. It’s better to be made of aluminum or metal (ruler). Now, how to measure putter shaft length accurately-
- With the appropriate posture hold the putter first. It is just a normal addressing position to the ball. This part is really important to measure putter length precisely.
- You must place the center of the putter flat on the surface. This is the perfect position for measurement.
- Now take the measurements equipment (ruler) and set the bottom of the ruler in line with the center of the putter.
- The ruler should remain very close to the putter for perfect measurement.
- At last, check the number at the end of the putter’s grip cap. This is the measurement or number we are looking for. Yeah, it is the length of this individual putter.
The measurement procedure may easier by taking someone’s help.
A golfer may hit a ball over miles. But, if the ball doesn’t get into holes with the flat stick, then what’s the meaning of hitting high! In a round of a professional golfer, approximately 40% of all strokes will be putts. And, for choosing a perfect putter one must need to learn how to measure putter length correctly. That’s why here I have tried to disclose all my findings. Hope, my findings will help a golfer in the putter measurement.
- How to Hold a Golf Club Left Handed
- How to Address a Golf Ball with an Iron
- How to Hold a Golf Club Right Handed
- How to Hit a Pitching Wedge